FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 28, 2020
Contact: Allyson Sanders
Louisiana Democratic Party Endorses Congressman Cedric Richmond for Re-election
BATON ROUGE, LA – Tuesday, the Louisiana Democratic Party formally endorsed Rep. Cedric Richmond in his re-election bid to represent Louisiana’s 2nd Congressional District. The Democratic State Central Committee unanimously voted to endorse the congressman based on his years of service and advocacy for the people of Louisiana.
“We’re proud to endorse Rep. Richmond for another term representing Louisiana’s 2nd Congressional District,” Sen. Karen Carter Peterson, Chair of the Louisiana Democratic Party said. “From fighting for coastal restoration and affordable health care, to being a strong voice against police brutality and institutional racism, he’s spent his time in Congress as an advocate and true friend for the people of his district and our state. Our members know he is the best choice in this election to keep delivering for Louisiana’s 2nd Congressional District.”
During his time in Congress, Rep. Richmond has been a strong voice on the issues impacting Louisiana’s families and economy:
- Following the death of George Floyd and national reckoning over police brutality, Rep. Richmond emerged as a powerful voice for justice and leader in the debate over police reform and institutional racism.
- As the Trump administration has repeatedly proposed harmful budget cuts to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP, or coastal restoration, Rep. Richmond has taken a strong stance against cuts to programs which hurt our families, seniors, and communities.
- Rep. Richmond has been an advocate for coastal restoration and protection, working to keep Louisiana’s wetland restoration projects funded and our waterways open for business.
- Rep. Richmond knows how critical the Affordable Care Act is for the hundreds of thousands of Louisiana families that rely on its provisions for health coverage or protection for pre-existing conditions. Throughout his time in Congress, he’s been a staunch supporter of protecting and expanding health care, while fighting back against Republican attempts to dismantle it.
- During the COVID-19 crisis, Rep. Richmond has fought to provide much-needed relief to workers, funding to state and local governments, improve the Paycheck Protection Program to work better for our small businesses, and more. As Senate Republicans let federal unemployment benefits expire the last weekend of July, Rep. Richmond and House Democrats passed the HEROES Act over two months ago to extend relief to millions of out of work Americans.