Basic Information:

  • Democratic Parish Executive Committees (DPEC) have the general responsibility for Democratic Party affairs at the local level. They are under the jurisdiction of the DSCC and DNC. They are responsible for the endorsement of local candidates, as well as for building Democratic infrastructure within their communities.
  • DPECs elect statewide and local Democratic candidates, promote Democratic Party activities, hold a minimum of 4 meetings per year, communicate with the Democratic State Central Committee, fundraise, and affiliate with local organizations.
  • The Democratic State Central Committee (DSCC) is the governing body for the Democratic Party of Louisiana and has sole responsibility for the affairs of the Louisiana Democratic Party.
  • The DSCC helps elect Democratic candidates in local, state, and national elections, conducts the Democratic National Committee delegate selection process, promotes and builds the state party, fundraises, conducts research on judicial or executive issues, and maintains voter relations, education, and leadership programs.
  • Qualify at your local Clerk of Court Office.
  • You must be 18 years old by the time of the election, a registered Democrat to run, and live in the district you will represent.
  • There are two DSCC seats in each state legislative district, one for a male and one for a female.
  • For parishes other than Orleans and Jefferson, there is one DPEC seat per Council or Police Jury district and an additional five “At Large” seats.
  • DSCC Qualifying Fee: $112.50
  • DPEC Qualifying Fee: $112.50
  • Each Clerk of Court can establish their own rules for how to pay your qualifying fee. We suggest calling first to verify or taking cash to be safe.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Can I run for both the DSCC and DPEC?

A: Yes, but you must pay the qualifying fee for each one.

Q: Does this make me a delegate to the presidential convention?

A: No. Delegates to the presidential nominating convention are determined through a completely separate, unrelated process.

Q: How do I get access to the Voter File? What is the cost?

A: Once you have qualified, you can be granted access to Voter File information for the duration of the election for a special one-time discounted rate.

Q: How can I find out who else is running in my district?

A: The Secretary of State’s website is updated at the end of each day during the qualifying period.

Q: Do I need to file campaign finance reports for any money I raise or spend?

A: No. According to the Ethics Administration, money raised or spent for DSCC or DPEC races does not need to be reported.